Patient Care Tech - Central Staffing - Full Time Nights
Company: Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital
Posted on: September 13, 2023
The Patient Care Technician (PCT), under the supervision of the
primary nurse (RN),, provides direct care and sitter observation
care to patients. PCT may also be directed by Clinical Supervisor
or primary RN to perform specific tasks or errands in support of
patient care and clinical operations. He/she assists in the
provision of a safe and clean environment facilitating therapeutic
and more efficient care. He/she provides assistance with patients'
activities of daily living, gathers information on patients' vital
signs, intake and output and other duties within his/her scope.
The position requires the full understanding and active
participation in fulfilling the mission of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Community Hospital (MLKCH). It is expected that the employee will
demonstrate behavior consistent with the MLKCH Core Values. The
employee shall support Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital's
strategic plan and the goals and direction of the quality and
performance improvement initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Obtains verbal report from the patient's primary nurse to
include information regarding the patient's identified care needs,
treatment plans, and appropriate activities as discussed during the
RN handoff communication with the PCT. Asks questions for
clarification if needed.
- Reviews in EHR (Electronic Health Record) with the primary RN
any additional patient information regarding necessary care
elements such as patients' dietary restrictions, food allergies,
intake and output needs, isolation precautions and the like prior
to assuming care for the patient.
- Assists patients to perform daily living activities, such as
getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, eating, using the toilet,
standing, walking, or exercising and provide oral care.
- Measures and records in EHR vital signs, such as temperature,
blood pressure, pulse, or respiration rate, and pain rating as
directed by the Physician or Registered Nurse.
- Measures and records in EHR food and liquid intake or urinary
and fecal output, reporting changes to the Registered Nurse
- Turns or repositions patients, as required.
- Observes patients to identify unusual signs that may require
medical attention, such as bruises, open wounds, decreased
awareness, abnormal vital signs, blood in urine or any signs of
distress or violent/disruptive behavior and report to the RN
- Promptly answers patient call signals, signal lights, bells, or
intercom systems to determine patients' needs.
- Maintains patient environment in a safe and orderly
- Responds as directed by the primary RN or Clinical Supervisor
to changing patients'/unit's needs.
- Serves as a runner or transports patients as directed.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates understanding of responsibilities
during all emergency codes.
- Complies with all hospital procedures and Federal and State
rules and regulations as it relates to their role.
- Offers consistent help and visible assistance to team members
- Applies principles of caring and healing in interactions with
patients, families, and with colleagues.
- Reviews patients' dietary restrictions, food allergies, and
preferences to ensure the patient receives the appropriate
- Strives to achieve excellence of service as described in the
MLKCH Values of Caring - Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and
- Displays honest behavior in all matters.
- Communicates verbally and in writing in a clear, professional
manner and demonstrates respect for patient, families/significant
others and other health care members.
- Adjusts role classification and cost center codes within Kronos
time clock prior to assignment start, as necessary.
- When the PCT is assigned sitter duty, his or her primary
responsibility is to observe the patient to assure the patient's
safety and provide total patient care.
- Understands that their personal belongings do not belong in the
- Demonstrates proficiency with sitter responsibilities as
outlined in the "Sitter's Responsibilities Resource Binder" located
on each patient care unit, and as reviewed at the time of
orientation and annually thereafter.
- Before starting sitter/observer duty, reviews with the primary
RN the "Handoff Communication Report" and asks questions when
- Reports any unusual patient condition or situation immediately
to the RN.
- Documents on the "Sitter Documentation Record" at least every
hour or more often based on patient condition changes.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Unit Supervisor and the primary
RN to ensure coverage during breaks in order to assure continuous
and uninterrupted patient observation.
- Assists with patient flow in the "Discharge Patient Waiting
Lounge". (Refer to Discharge Lounge Policy- CM-4004)
- Plays active role in rounding to ensure patient safety at all
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma / GED
- Six (6) months of experience, within the last three (3) years,
in a hospital, clinic or in a SNF/Home Health care setting as a
nurse assistant, care partner, medical assistant or student nurse
with one semester in a clinical setting.
- Current California Nurse Assistant CNA certification
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS)
- An understanding of human anatomy, basic medical terminology,
and rehabilitation principles is desired.
C. Special Skills/Knowledge
- Basic computer skills
- Completion of :
- "Crisis Prevention Interventions" (CPI) course within ninety
(90) days of hire, and annually thereafter.
- Sitter/Observer training course within thirty (30) days of
hire, prior to assuming sitter duty and annually thereafter.
- Restraint/Seclusion training with passing written test and
practical competency, and annually thereafter.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the
strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or
approaches to problems.
Keywords: Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital, Burbank , Patient Care Tech - Central Staffing - Full Time Nights, Human Resources , Burbank, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!