Counsel ABC Signature - Legal Affairs
Company: The Walt Disney Company (Corporate)
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Counsel/ABC Signature Legal Affairs
The Counsel for ABC Signature Legal Affairs will be a member of a
diverse and dynamic Legal Affairs team. You will work
collaboratively with other lawyers and Business Affairs executives
on all legal matters, and will be expected to provide guidance and
direction reflecting sound judgment and substantive legal
knowledge. The position reports to the Principal Counsel for ABC
LEGAL EXPERTISE & LEADERSHIP:
- Provide direction and guidance in connection with all legal
issues related to the production of original material.
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements for the development and
production of original live-action programming for exhibition on a
variety of platforms including streaming services and cable
- Provide analysis and advice in connection with intellectual
property matters, claims, clearances, and other matters arising out
of the day-to-day operations of a large television studio. Clients
include such other departments as Business Affairs, Creative,
Development, Production, Production Finance, Casting and Casting
Administration, Contracts Administration, Marketing, and Brand
- Experience in the following areas is essential: live action,
scripted television production; distribution/acquisition
agreements; copyright; trademark; defamation; and rights of
publicity and privacy. CROSS-TEAM COLLABORATION & PARTNERSHIP:
- Work closely with the Litigation Department and outside counsel
on litigation matters relating to all aspects of the ABC Signature
business, including distribution, production, labor and
- Work closely with the corporate Intellectual Property group in
connection with intellectual property issues, including
anti-piracy, clearance, privacy/defamation, copyright, trademark
and music issues.
- Coordinate with the corporate Tax Department on tax issues for
ABC Signature, working often in this regard with Production Finance
and Business Affairs.
- Partner effectively and work closely with Labor Relations,
Business Affairs and Production on high-level and strategic labor
issues that confront ABC Signature. Basic Qualifications
- The qualified candidate will have a JD degree and at least 4+
years of experience, preferably in Legal Affairs in the television
or streaming industry. Intellectual property, corporate transaction
and/or litigation experience at a major law firm or studio will
also be considered.
- Demonstrated success in earning the trust of legal and business
executives to handle complex and sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze complex issues and
devise solutions and strategies.
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, and writing skills; as well as
the ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly,
- Basic knowledge of AFTRA/SAG, DGA and WGA rules for live-action
- A collegial and collaborative lawyer with a commitment to a
positive working environment within the legal organization. Skills
- Exceptional drafting, analytical and organizational
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently, executing
multiple high-priority projects with keen attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, sound judgment
- Excellent work ethic and interpersonal skills, including a
healthy sense of humor and the ability to build professional,
interdepartmental relationships at multiple levels. Preferred
- Television studio or production company experience
- Experience as a lawyer within a law firm. Required Education
- Law degree.
- Bar Membership (California is preferred).
Keywords: The Walt Disney Company (Corporate), Burbank , Counsel ABC Signature - Legal Affairs, Legal , Burbank, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!