Sr. Systems Engineer - Animation Studios
Company: Walt Disney Animation Studios
Posted on: January 8, 2021
Job Summary:We are looking for a new talented engineer to join
our Platform Engineering team at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
This team designs and builds our infrastructure platform, from core
services to large-scale high performance compute systems. In this
role, you will partner with artists, production leadership,
technical directors, other systems and software engineers, and
technology leadership on the design and implementation of
foundational infrastructure services motivated by the needs of
content production at Walt Disney Animation Studios.By creating a
dynamic infrastructure, Platform Engineering provides the
foundation that bridges the hardware/software boundary. You will
help provide technical engineering leadership to our team and
cross-functional teams to provide highly available and scalable
core infrastructure services that are hosted within our on-premise
data center and/or cloud providers. This includes in-depth system
analysis, design, troubleshooting, and integration of new products
and developing tools and strategies to improve existing systemsYou
will enjoy the diversity and challenges of working at various
levels in the software stack, from core compute and data management
to developing APIs and intuitive user interfaces. All projects have
in common the pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex
problems, using agile development methodologies as part of
high-energy, proficient teams.You will engage with team members and
stakeholders on a variety of projects depending on studio needs.
Example assignments could include high-performance parallel
computation, distributed job scheduling algorithms with associated
artist workflows, highly efficient data management and storage
orchestration, data mining and machine learning, and intuitive data
visualization design.Our engineers are highly supportive of each
other and our stakeholders. You will be expected to demonstrate
self-direction when needed, and also be comfortable supporting your
team by bringing fresh insight for shared problem-solving. Critical
to the success in this role is the ability to build trusted
relationships with technical and non-technical users to understand
their needs and pain points intimately and deliver relevant
- Partner closely with stakeholders and technical teams to
deploy, manage, and optimize systems and services on our on-premise
infrastructure and cloud environments.
- Prioritize mission-critical tasks and coordinate the
construction and expansion of our systems so updates and other
maintenance tasks don't get in the way of daily operations.
- Inspire and motivate others through technical excellence and
best-in-class engineering practices.
- Actively participate in team discussions and challenge the
status quo when appropriate.
- Provide guidance to peers on technical problems from design to
- Demonstrate technical influence through innovation.
- Publish and maintain detailed documentation in regards to our
processes and workflows.
- Standardize and automate processes and services using
- Conduct high-level root-cause analysis for service
interruptions and establish preventive measures.Basic
- In-depth knowledge with designing and building infrastructure
platforms - from core services to large-scale high performance
- Hands-on, proven expertise with developing technical solutions
involving multiple applications to solve business and production
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly
in working within teams and among stakeholders.
- Senior-level expertise in Linux, MacOS, and/or Windows systems
administration in a professional environment.
- Strong experience managing cloud based solutions using VMware,
AWS, GCP, and/or Kubernetes.
- Routinely test software for issues, bugs, and security
- Proficient in software development methodologies and processes
- including agile methods, continuous integration and version
- Expert-level expertise with LDAP, DNS, SSO, MDM, SMTP, system
performance-monitoring tools, virtualization, HTTP traffic, email
routing and administration, interacting with REST APIs for
application integration and automation, and familiarity with
- Deep experience with Python and scripting with languages such
as bash, Perl, etc.
- Expertise with Git or other version control systems.
- Proficient in utilizing visualization tools like Grafana,
Kibana, and/or ElasticSearch.
- Expertise in web server, load balancer, postfix
- Experience with Web development (HTTP, REST, XML, JSON).
- Expert-level expertise with managing and troubleshooting TCP/IP
networks and related technologies.Preferred Qualifications:
- In-depth experience with Kubernetes, Docker, Rancher, Helm and
- Experience designing, implementing, and administering Storage
technologies (for example: object stores, NFS, pNFS, and/or
Ceph).Required EducationBS in Computer Science, Computer
Engineering, Electrical Engineering; or comparable industry
Keywords: Walt Disney Animation Studios, Burbank , Sr. Systems Engineer - Animation Studios, Other , Burbank, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!