Senior Manager, Employee Relations
Company: Walt Disney Co.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Walt Disney Company's Media & Entertainment Distribution
(DMED) is a new, global business segment for The Walt Disney
Company with the mission of providing consumers around the world
access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a
time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits. Combining the Company's
direct-to-consumer streaming services - ESPN+, the Disney+
streaming service and its ownership stake in Hulu -- alongside
Disney's international media businesses, DMED aligns cutting-edge
technology with world-class content and beloved brands to expand
the Company's global footprint and deliver highly-personalized
entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the
The Senior Manager, Employee Relations will be responsible for
managing a team tasked with delivering on federal contractor
obligations and supporting various federal and/or state compliance
obligations. The focus will be on developing and executing OFCCP
strategy, including building client relationships, partnering with
recruiting and diversity teams, consulting on compliance, designing
and implementing compliance training programs, preparing data for
research and analysis, and managing audit findings. The Senior
Manager, Employee Relations ("ER") may also support the DMED
function by providing clients (employees, leaders, HR Business
Partners, etc.) in conducting complex investigations related to
Company policies, determining investigation findings and
recommendations, drafting various investigation-related documents,
advising on a wide-range of ER issues, interpreting policies and
practices, and reviewing performance management documents.
The successful candidate will have thorough knowledge of OFCCP
requirements, with demonstrated experience and ability to lead
program development initiatives, communicate strategy, translate
new agency requirements into process, develop auditing procedures
to ensure compliance, and create AAPs. This individual must also be
experienced in gathering support and buy-in for new ideas and is
able to present information to various levels of leadership within
the organization to drive change.
- Develop implementation plans that are workable in a complex and
- Communicate change effectively; influence stakeholders and
build commitment despite resistance
- Develop and initiate standards and methods for auditing,
testing, and evaluating
- Formulate and maintain federal compliance objectives
complementary to corporate goals
- Assess risk and develop new approaches to solve problems
identified during auditing and feedback activities
- Prepare and present compliance effectiveness information to the
management team, including keeping leaders abreast of significant
issues or developments identified during compliance activities and
actions being taken to improve approach
- Partner closely with Legal to translate legal changes into
daily operations and conduct legal research on best practices
- Tell compelling stories using data by working with mathematical
concepts such as probability and statistical inferences,
percentages, ratios, and proportions
- Conduct complex and sensitive employee investigations with
little supervision, including determining appropriate investigation
strategies, leading witness interviews and any required document
review, and determining findings and recommendations for
- Where applicable, draft well-written investigation-related
documents, including leader/HRBP talking points, written warnings,
case executive summaries and other documents with little
- Partner collaboratively with HRBPs, Legal, Global Security,
Information Security, Management Audit, Communications, Diversity &
Inclusion and others to execute thorough investigations. Influence
decisions where appropriate.
- Input cases into the ER database case management system
accurately and timely.
- Assist responding to employee complaints with federal, state
and local administrative agencies.
Other Core Employee Relations Work
- Assist in the determination and implementation of reasonable
accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Assist in
managing complex situations related to various leave of
- Assist HRBPs with the assessment and review of performance
management, including the editing, review and execution of
performance advisories and performance improvement plans.
- Assist with the data reporting and analytics of ER cases for
themes, trends and root causes to provide insights and
recommendations for decision making and prevention of ER risk.
- Promote knowledge and understanding of Company policy and of
relevant employment laws through coaching, presentations, and
- Assist in ongoing review and updates of the Employee Policy
Manual, Teacher's Guides, and procedures.
- Assist with the assessment of organizational changes.
- Build relationships with key ER partners, including Human
Resources, Legal, Global Security, Information Security, Management
Audit, Communications, Diversity & Inclusion and others.
- Assist with other ER project work and consultations related to
the employee experience as needed.
- Minimum of 7+ years Employee Relations experience, with 2-3
years in relevant experience leading others.
- 3-5 years experience with OFCCP compliance
- Demonstrated experience leading a wide variety of complex
employee investigations with little supervision.
- Excellent decision making, problem solving, critical thinking
and root cause/analysis skills.
- Demonstrated investigation and consultative skills
- Advanced understanding of employment and HR related laws,
regulations, policies, principles, concepts and practices,
including Title VII, ADA, ADAA, and FMLA.
- High emotional intelligence and strong people skills
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential matters
with compassion and equity.
- Ability to work collaboratively, lead and influence at all
levels within the organization, and make decisions while keeping
all partners and leaders informed
- Experience working with senior executives in an
- Ability to position self as credible, proactive and a trusted
- Independent work style, balancing the need for collaboration
with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong time management
and prioritization skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including
verbal and written
- Bachelors Degree Required, Juris Doctorate Preferred
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company's international business units and
various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media &
Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media
distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment
to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to
consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and
affiliates, is a leading diversified international family
entertainment and media enterprise with the following business
segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment,
consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as
a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the
entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy
of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of
the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach
consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With
operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast
members work together to create entertainment experiences that are
both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Operations LLC, which is
part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment
Disney Streaming Operations LLC is an equal opportunity
employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran
status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local
law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions
from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and
be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Apply NowApply Later
Keywords: Walt Disney Co., Burbank , Senior Manager, Employee Relations, Other , Burbank, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!